In order to be fit and healthy, you need to maintain an active lifestyle and a balanced diet. Taking part in regular physical activity can help to protect and prevent your from serious diseases such as obesity, cancer, diabetes, arthritis and mental illness. Cycling regularly is one of the best ways to reduce your risk of health problems that are associated with leading a sedentary lifestyle.
Cycling North Wales is a very healthy, low-impact exercise which can be easily enjoyed by people of all ages; from young children to older adults. It is also a fun way to encourage children to participate and enjoy exercise from a young age. Riding your bike to the shops or to work isn’t only good for the environment, it’s also one of the most time-efficient ways to combine your daily exercise with your everyday routine.
Cycling for Health & Fitness
It roughly takes around two to four hours per week to achieve a general improvement in your health. Cycling is:
- A good muscle workout – cycling uses all of the major muscles groups as you pedal.
- Low impact – it causes less strain and injuries when compared to other forms of exercise.
- Easy – unlike some other sports, cycling doesn’t actually require high levels of physical skill. Most people will know how to ride a bike and, once you learn, you don’t forget.
- As intense as you want – cycling can be done at a very low intensity to begin with, perfect for those recovering from injury or illness, but can be steadily built up to a demanding physical workout.
- Time-efficient – as a mode of transport, cycling replaces the sedentary sitting time spent driving cars or vans or using trains or trams with healthy exercise.
- Good for strength and stamina – cycling increases strength, stamina and aerobic fitness.
- Fun way to get fit – the adventure and buzz you’ll get from coasting down hills and being outdoors means that you are more likely to cycle regularly with more routes to explore.
Health Benefits of Cycling
Cycling is mainly an aerobic activity, which means that your heart, blood vessels and lungs all get a workout. You will be breathing deeper, perspire (sometimes heavily) and experience an increase in body temperature, which will all combine to improve your overall fitness levels.
The health benefits of cycling include:
- Increased cardiovascular fitness
- Improved joint mobility
- Increased muscles strength and flexibility
- Decreased stress levels
- Improved posture and coordination
- Decreased body fat levels
- Prevention or management of disease
- Reduced anxiety and depression
- Strengthened bones
Cycling & Specific Health Issues
Cycling is a great way to improve both your physical and mental health, and it can reduce the chances of experiencing other health issues.
Obesity and weight control – cycling is a good way to reduce or control weight, as it raises your metabolic rate, builds muscles and burns body fat. If you’re trying to lose weight, cycling needs to be combined with a healthy and balanced eating plan. Cycling is a very comfortable form of exercise and you are in control of the time and intensity – so it can be built up slowly to suit your needs.
Cardiovascular disease – cardiovascular diseases include high blood pressure, stroke and heart attacks. Regular cycling stimulates and improves your heart, lungs and overall circulation – thus reducing your risk of cardiovascular diseases. Cycling strengthens your heart muscles, lowers resting pulse rate and reduces blood fat levels.